Science After School is a joint initiative between Scitech and Woodside. It provides opportunities beyond the classroom to practice and enhance knowledge and skills whilst increasing awareness of the relevance of science and technology to our everyday lives. We cater to schools, libraries and community groups.
Please note: if you are a parent looking to book your child into a workshop you are in the wrong place. Please refer to the events section of website where workshops will be listed.
- Living Science | Years 7-10 | 1-4 week series
This series encourages students to consider environmental impacts and how to plan for a sustainable future. They use scientific equipment to analyse samples and perform surveys from their local region.
• Soil testing: Analyse soil samples and test salinity, PH, nitrogen and composition
• Water testing: Analyse water samples and test salinity, oil, phosphates, copper, turbidity
• Plant surveys: Using a transect students will look at the plant diversity in their school
• Animal surveys: Students will investigate about introduced and invasive species
- EdisonTM Robotics | Years 7-10 | 1-4 week series
Explore the fascinating world of robotics and computer programming using Edison™ robots. Students will learn how sensors work and how to program a robot.
• Barcode programming: What is the difference between a robot and a machine? Students find out the answer to this question and learn how to scan barcode programs for the Edison robots
• Computer programming: This introduction to computer programming will have students learning how to get a robot to follow a line, play music and detect obstacles
• Robot art: Students will learn how to program their robot to create art using maths and loops
• Engineering robots: Using LEGO™ Technic students will build a digger to pick up LEGO™ pieces Explore the fascinating world of robotics and computer programming using Edison robots. Participants will learn how sensors work and how to program a robot. They will showcase their skills in weekly challenges.
- Animatronics | Years 7-10 | 5 week series
This STEM based series of workshops using the Hummingbird robotics kits encourage students to explore coding and robotics from Scratch. Students will construct an Animatronic robot using recycled materials and program it to react to a stimulus. This series will inspire creative and critical thinking across curricula.
• Introduction: Students are introduced to animatronics and discover how to connect and program LED lights. They are guided through the design process to determine what they will be building over the series.
• Make it move: Students will connect motors and servos and learn how to program them using Scratch. Time permitting students are encouraged to commence construction of robots.
• Inputs: Students learn how to connect sensors, attaching them to their robots and programming them to react to a stimulus.
• Final touches: This is the last week in which students finish building their robots and writing their code.
• Showcase: Parents are invited to come and see what their children have built over the series in this showcase event.
|Duration of workshop||Cost of workshop|
Bookings and information